« Family »
As police officers we do not have the luxury of deciding our work schedules. So we find ourselves working at Christmas, New Year's eve, Easter and so on. We often miss our children's shows, their concerts and their tournaments. How many times have we missed family dinners because of calls we received at the last minute ...
But that's what it is to be a police officer! We have been sworn to protect the city that God has entrusted to us and for us it means a lot!
It becomes imperative when we are finally with our families, to give them all that we can bring them.
One of the definitions of the word "Family" in the dictionary is: Related persons living under the same roof.
We have all noticed in our work how important it is to form a strong couple so that our children can benefit from it. How many calls have we covered involving torn families where children have suffered at all levels. Today's society has dismissed the family values of the Bible out of hand and declared them to be archaic and to be worthy of the Stone Age.
In Ephesians 5; 22-23a God said, "Wives, be submissive to your husbands, as to the Lord, for the husband is the head of the woman".
In a matriarchal and advanced society such as ours, a verse such as this would only shock some of us on the pretext that it would only bring back the status of women to the time of the man of the caves.
The greek word for "Submitted" is "Hupotasso", which refers to "Disposer", "To put under", "To yield", "To obey" and "To be under the command of a chief".
Then the greek word that translates the word "Chief" is "Kephale" which refers to him as "The Head," "A Master," or "A Cornerstone."
A cornerstone is a principle of construction that demands that the first stone on which all the rest finds support, be flawless, straight and solid. In this way, everything we build from this stone will pass through years and storms.
While the Bible teaches women to be submissive to their husbands, it immediately tells men to be righteous, solid and flawless so that everything the family builds on it can also be solid and can pass through time and storms.
Then after in Ephesians 5; 25 it is written, "Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church".
For the men who stopped in the previous verse and thought that the Bible had given them absolute power over their wife without any accountability or responsibility, will certainly be disappointed!
The word "Love" is translated into Greek by the word "Agapao" which means "welcome", "receive", "love dearly", "love to love", it refers to developing a reflex to love his wife; to have an instinct for her.
Moreover, people tend to understand the verse by saying that man must die for his wife because Jesus died for his church. And men in general love this image because being ready to die for someone brings an element of courage but only increases the sense of ego for man.
In fact, the way Jesus loved his church is to have dedicated every day of his life to caring for people, listening to them, praying for them, healing them and raising them. Remember when people wanted to stone Marie-Madelaine and Jesus came to protect her. Who would today dare to go to an Arab-Muslim country and do the same ?? There's a good chance that the next time we see this person again, that it's on Youtube and that she's dressed in an orange coat with a bag on her head!
Yet Jesus dared to do so at a time when such a practice was normal. He never hesitated a second to not only protect this woman but in addition to raising her status publicly by telling them: "Who are you to judge her like that??!! ". Jesus was the Son of God and He could have to come to earth and say, "Worship me! But He preferred to come and wash His disciples' feet.
Here is how Jesus loved his church and God asks us to love our wives in the same way. He asks us to dedicate each of our days to "Agapao" our wives. That is to say, to spend each day in welcoming them, to love them dearly, to develop an instinct to love them by listening to them, praying for them, supporting them in their trials, raising them and passing first into our lives.
A husband can never love his wife in this way if she is not submitted to him at first but a woman can never be submitted to him if her husband does not love her in this way.
Today people refuse the values of the Bible saying that they are no longer in the Stone Age. People no longer want these principles by saying they are free today. They are free to make promises they will not hold, free to deceive their spouses with impunity, free to found a family and leave with someone else, free to have no obligation to the person with whom they share their lives. Yet, the average of couples in Québec is 4 years ...
In closing, here are some statistics from the Canadian Children's Rights Council, which they named: "The Fatherless Generation".
Children who grew up without the presence of their father represent:
- 90% of runaways and homeless - 32 times the average
- 85% of young people with behavior problems - 20 times the average
- 80% of rapists with anger management problems - 14 times the average
- 71% of school dropouts - 9 times the average
- 75% of youth in detox centers - 10 times the average
- 70% of youth in youth center - 9 times the average
- 85% of youth in prison - 20 times the average
- 63% of suicides among young people - 5 times the average
- 72% of youths convicted of murder
- 80% of adolescents who receive psychological care
- 90% of pyromaniac teenagers
- 2 times more likely to drop out of school
- 60% more likely to double a year
- 68% more likely to have problems with cigarettes, alcohol or drugs
- 8 times more likely to end up in jail
- 4 times more likely to need psychological help
- 11 times more likely to commit acts of violence
- 20 times more likely to have behavior problems
- 32 times more chance to run away from home
- 5 times more likely to commit suicide
Girls who grew up without the presence of their father represent:
- 71% of teenage mothers (Adulthood in Canada: 18 years old QC, MB, AB, ON, PEI, SK - 19 years: BC, NB, NL, NWT, NS, NU, YU)
- 1,000,000 teenage mothers each year (Often the same adolescent girls who get pregnant several times)
- 13% of births are made by teenage mothers
- 3 times more likely to lose their virginity before 16
- 900% more likely to be raped
- 53% more likely to get married adolescent (Legal marriage is set to 16 years old in Canada)
- 92% more likely to divorce at least once
- 711% more likely to get pregnant in adolescence
- 164% more likely to have a child without being married or in a couple/relationship
Among a survey of 7,000 youth people in prisons who had links with street gangs, 39% said they did so because they were looking for a family.
The #1 reason of an absent father at home is divorce/separation. By rejecting biblical family values people say they are now free. I am convinced that if people accepted these principles and applied them sincerely, we would see these statistics drastically decrease!
In conclusion, click here to view encouraging verses for the family.